Saturday, January 7, 2017

From the Archives: The Rise of The Great Society in the Summer of 65

by Nomad

A post from the blog archive offers a look back at a critical time in American history- the summer of 1965.


As most of you know Nomadic Politics has been around for about 6 years. In that duration, I have built up quite a large archive.

Not every post is outstanding, I admit. Some of them are out-dated. Given what we have seen from President-elect Trump, -posts about the problems with Mitt Romney back in 2012 now seem hopelessly naive.
Some of them have subsequently been proved wrong. Many of them I forget ever writing.

However, a few of them I am proud of. Most of those types of posts deal with a part of history that has been forgotten or somewhat overshadowed.
My fondness for those posts isn't based on personal vanity, or any artful writing skill. I know my limitations in that regard.

It's usually because, at some point in my research, I made a discovery or a connection that turned a new light on the subject. Or I found something (or somebody) that ought to be remembered.
because the information can perhaps go a long way in helping us understand how we got where we are today.

For all those reasons, in the coming year from time to time, I will highlight one of the past blog posts with a small introduction. I hope you find them interesting.

In August 2012, Nomadic Politics cranked up its trusty time machine and zipped back to the summer of 1965. That post was entitled "The Great Society, Medicare and the Summer of ‘65"

As the introduction of that post notes:
The summer of 1965 was one of many critical moments of American history. The Great Society, President Johnson's ambitious policy to overhaul the country, became a reality. However, at the same moment, a new movement of a different kind was emerging. It was a kind of backlash that would take 15 years to mature into the conservative movement.
Over a half-century has passed and yet the echoes of that time are still very much with us today.

Whenever you hear a politician (or a president) using the phrase, "Take America Back" it's important to know your history. Then, you can decide whether America really needs to go back to the days before that summer fifty years ago.